Pages

Monday, May 10, 2010

Software Analysis - Restoration - Review

In my last post, I just taught you about deleting files using file shredding software, so that hackers cannot restore them. That’s why, I’m now going to teach you to restore files. For restoring files, you don’t need any kind of techy brain. You’ll just need a file recovery software. Note that this software only deletes those files which are deleted traditionally. If you have deleted a file using a file shredding software, then you have less than one per cent chance of recovering it.

After exploring the internet for hours, I found out this one. It’s called ‘Restoration’. As the name suggests, this software can restore deleted files. However, when I first used it, I found out that it can shred files too. Check out the main screen:

This software requires administrative privileges. So, If you’re using it on Windows Vista or later, then be sure that you right click and select ‘Run as administrator’. When I first executed this software, then I was surprised to see that there was a huge number of undeleted files on my system.

To test it, I deleted a text file and executed this software. Upon execution, I clicked on ‘Search Deleted Files’. It worked and displayed a huge list of undeleted files. To find that test file, I had to read through hundreds of files. To help me reduce my effort, this software allows you to search among deleted files. Now, I tell you that this kind of facility is available in very few file recovery softwares. Most of them just dump entire list of deleted files in front of you which is annoying.

If you do not want to install a file shredding software separately, then you can use this one to delete files completely (Shred them) but, this shedding files, in this software, has limitations. Unlike file shredder, this software uses only one algorithm to shred files while in File Shredder, you get options for using a file shredding algorithm. Here, I suspect that there is only one algorithm with only one pass available whereas in File Shredder, you have Guttmann Algorithm with 35 passes! Now, that’s a lot more secure.

If we are keeping file recovery in perspective, then this software is a hit but for shredding files, do not use this. Use File Shredder instead for better performance and reliability.

Restoration is available at:

Ads

Look into BLOG ARCHIVE for more posts.